Cities We've Been

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Thailand to Hong Kong

Ko Tao to Ko Sumui, Thailand Day 64 (April 4)


Unfortunately, we are out of time in Thailand. We really want to stay another week in Kao Tao and do some fun dives. However, our trip is planned four days over our 30 day visas, and we are going to have to pay fines. We weight a bunch of different options; visa run to Burma, round trip to Malaysia. None of the options make sense to spend an extra week, so we take the ferry to Ko Samui, and stay in Big Budda beach near the Ko Samui airport. The landing planes shake our bungalow pretty good.

A special thanks to the people of Thailand for being so helpful, friendly, and fun. Thailand is the best country that we ever visited.
Kevin says;
khorb koon khrab
Vana says;
khorb koon ka

we LOVE Thailand!

Even their airport have a theme park experience!



Ko Sumui to Hong Kong by plane, China Day 65 (April 5)


South East Asia Map. Thailand to HongKong (2 hr flight)


We arrive with no trouble and book an expensive but convenient hotel from the airport booking service. It amazing that you can get from the Airport to the Hotel without a breath of fresh air. Actually, you can get most places this way; as the airport, subways, trains, ferries, malls, and buildings are mostly connected by indoor, or covered walkways. As far as big metropolis cities go, Hong Kong is probably the best city in the world. The infrastructure here makes any US city look like a joke. People move through the Hong Kong as smooth as wind and water; as feng shui gurus are consulted before constructing any building.

We are staying at the Kowloon Hotel in Kowloon. In the evening, we walk to Victory Harbour and catch the evening light show, with neon and laser lights flashing from the buildings across the sound on Kong Kong Island. The waterfront show makes me think of Shanghai and Singapore; who wins the competition for slickest waterfront?

It's all about efficiency and convenience here.

fast and comfortable train ride

Clean train

the bed is so comfortable. I couldn't help it!

Hong Kong at last

much like NY, but more clean, efficient, and convienent.

Clean subway

music light show at Victory Harbour

Vana: kevin and I have both been to Hong Kong (HK) before and love it. I was here when I was a kid. HK was my stopping point before flying to the US for the first time. When I got to HK, I loved it so much that I called my dad and asked if I can move to HK instead the US. Well...you know rest of the story.

6 comments:

Kevin and Vana said...

Hi Vana,

I'm getting used to your English(?) name now. Unlike other names, it's not only beautiful but rare -- at least to me. Good choice!

Just a short note to thank you for sharing your exciting vacation experience with me. Gosh, these beach resort places are unbelievably beautiful and inviting. We should certainly make a plan and come to experience them in person. Like some of your friends may have suggested--you and Kavin should open a travel agency, 'cause you two work like pros! I wonder where you get these crispy clear tourist maps, and they all turned out so nicely on the web,

Cheers, and enjoy the rest of your vacation!

Falan

Kevin and Vana said...

Hi Kevin and Vana,

I'm finally catching up with your latest travel report. Dad and I are really impressed with the additional knowledge you've gained not only about diving techniques, safety and technical skills, but also you've become experts on naming the various species of fish and corral. Was that part of the course work? Ko Tao looks like a very exotic place, and some of these fish, I've never seen before, even in nature films. I took a quick look at today's e-mail from you and laughed myself silly at the shot of Vana jumping up and down on the bed. The accommodations in Hong Kong look pretty cushy! I've never seen a train with such a plush interior! Wow! Hong Kong certainly looks inviting.

Keep the news coming and stay well.

Love and Kisses,
from Mom and Dad

Kevin and Vana said...

REALLY!?!??! Woohoo!!!!!!!!! Well, I won't spoil the surprise. Hopefully I'm helping the suspense grow. :-)

My mom and Kevin are both really enjoying your blog too, even though I don't think they comment. Everytime I talk to my mom she says something about the latest pictures. She just thinks they're SO awesome (and they are!) Kevin likes to wait unitl he has enough time to read everything and examine all the pictures fully--so he's behind. :-) I'm behind too, but catching up!!

Diane Eisenhauer said...

Say you two travel birds...

It's been fun hearing from you. It's a little like traveling there as well. Like the maps a lot, very impressed with the cleanliness and it's just nice to know you're enjoying your adventures to the fullest.
Thanks for sending the pics.

Diane E

jcmcalli said...

Ya, I'm with your Mom and Dad: You are EXPERTS at naming all those fish! I have to ask though, do you look them up in a book or something when you're posting your blogs? Or are you really swimming around going "oooooo, There's a Slingjaw Wrasse!!" :-)

I'm also very impressed with you pictures of Hong Kong! It's SOO clean! I wish LA was like that--it'd be much more fun. Awesome light show too!

Kevin and Vana said...

Dear

How luckily you have left Thailand, do you heared the terrible rebellion occured recently.

Well, miss you , and enjoy your trip in Philippine :)

Vivi