Cities We've Been

Monday, April 6, 2009

Thailand - Ko Lanta Island

We spend the next two weeks island hopping in the south of Thailand. It's paradise!

Ko Lanta Island, Thailand Day 51 (March 21)


We spend the day to relax, catch up on sleep, and take a cool swim in the ocean in the pouring rain. We have the resort mostly to ourselves, not including the resort cats. We also enjoyed the great sunset every evening while having dinner on the beach.


reading Thailand Island and Beaches while on the Thailand beach watching sunset




sunset

getting dark

CLICK HERE to see more sunset pictures


Ko Lanta Island, Thailand Day 52 (March 22)


speed boat pick out in front of our hotel

Today, we take a speed boat trip to Koh Rok Island park, about 40 minutes south of Ko Lanta. The islands are not inhabited, except for camping on one of the islands. We snorkel twice, lunch on the island, and then one more snorkel before returning. The coral is in good shape. We see lots of clown fish in the sea anemones, and some different fish. At lunch we see a barong, which is a giant lizard.

Vana

KR free dive

Magnificent Anemone

Butterfly fish

Moorish Idol

Hard Coral & Soft Coral

Sea Urchin

Cleaning fish

Parrot fish

Sand Lizard fish - it's a couple! awww...

Sea Cucumber splitting

Pink Skunk Anemone fish

Giant Clam

Black Spike sea cucumber

Pink Mushroom coral

Yellow Spotted Puffer fish

Yellow Trumpetfish

Gold-Saddle Rabbitfish

False Clown Anemone fish

Giant puffer fish

Christmas tree worm

barong

water is clear and warm

perfect weather

We love it!

2 comments:

seth said...

beaches without surf make me sad. amazingly, we have had a little surf in SB recently. Spring has been better than winter.

that said, the UW pics are epic.

breeze said...

Hey guys,
I read all of your blogs and wish I was doing the same. I like seeing some of your pictures are the same as the ones I took. Well...same same but different!

I think the hotel I was staying at in Chiang Mai was behind that German restaurant you went to (Royal Lana). I went to the same elephant place and orchid farm. I have to say that most of your experiences in Thailand are pretty spot on with the ones I had. I didn't get to do a whole lot of island hopping but I enjoyed the time I had.

Brian has that "Mission impossible" shirt. One of my fav shirts said "I don't want no f*cking tuk tuk ride, t-shirt, watch, or massage" or something like that.

I don't know where you are now but if you are still in Thailand you have to have papaya salad for me, mangosteen and larb. Jealous about the Tom yum...I ate it every day. I learned the furthur south, the spicier the food.

Put vinigar or strong rum (if you can find it) on your skin if you have rashes from sea lice...works like a charm!

Hope to read more soon! Brielle